Monday, March 14, 2011

checklists and routines

It would be nice to know that there are other people out there as neurotic as I am. It's Monday and I'm already thinking about packing for my MIT race, which I leave for on Thursday morning. Not only do I think about it, I begin to get nervous...strange, I tell you.

I wouldn't be confident in my packing if I didn't have a checklist; there are just too many things to think about. I have found that by checking it off my list, there is some sort of satisfaction, in it of itself. Not only do I have a checklist, I have that check list divided into categories (training, race day apparel, nutrition, bike, running, and swimming gear). How much more A type personality could one be?!

So yes, of course there is a system to my packing as well. I have to lay everything out in their appropriate categories. As they get put in the bike box or bag they get checked off. Even once they have been checked off, I still double and triple check. You would think I would never forget anything; wrong. There have been several races where I'm looking for my sponsors booth at the expo to grab an item that has been left behind. Thank goodness, my sponsors have come to my rescue on several occasions.

Obviously, I am a creature of habit. I try to make things as routine as possible when it comes to triathlon and racing. Not only do I use check lists, I also stick to a routine. This years season opener at MIT is going to throw me for a loop. My routine has to change; there is just more to do. Stepping into the professional world means more obligations. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds; how many times I change my routine before I am completely happy with it. This is definitely going to be a year of lessons and learning experiences. I am up for the challenge and have nothing but high expectations.

See you all out at the races...




1 comment:

  1. Don't worry, you are not alone. I usually pack my stuff the night before, with a double check in the morning. Then, another check when it goes to the car.

    ReplyDelete